|100 ngultrum - front|
|100 ngultrum - back|
Thimphu is the capital city of Bhutan, situated in the western part of the country.
With more or less 80,000 habitants, it is also the largest city in Bhutan.
|the buddhist temple Tashichho Dzong - city of Thimphu|
In 1641 Zhabdrung built the Tashicho Dzong (Fortress of the auspicious religion) in place of the Dho Ngon (Blue stone) Dzong built by Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa.
In 1698, the dzong caught fire and was restored. The dzong caught fire for a second time during the reign of the 16th Desi and 13th Je Khenpo. In 1869, the dzong once again caught fire. His Majesty the Second King initiated the renovation of the Dzong in 1962. Today, Trashichho dzong houses the secretariat, throne room, and offices of the King of Bhutan. The northern section is the Je Khenpo and Central Monk Body’s residence.
|500 ngultrum - front|
King Ugyen Wangchuk reigned from December 17, 1907 till August 21, 1926.
|500 ngultrum - back|
Constructed by Zhabdrung (Shabdrung) Ngawang Namgyal in 1637–38, it is the second oldest and second largest dzong in Bhutan and one of its most majestic structures. The Dzong houses the sacred relics of the southern Drukpa Kagyu school including the Rangjung Kasarpani, and the sacred remains of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and Terton Padma Lingpa. Punakha Dzong was the administrative centre and the seat of the Government of Bhutan until 1955, when the capital was moved to Thimphu.
|Punkha dzong - city of Punakha|
... to be continued ...